Skip to main content

The art of becoming a French fry, as you can tell I was hungry when I made that title however, it is what I’m going to talk about; having the motivation to become more desirable to yourself (I find French fries very desirable, but please feel free to substitute) by breaking it up into small chunks.
 Motivation is that ever elusive feeling. That surge of energy to focus on completing a task at hand. That prideful sense of accomplishment when it’s done. And then it goes away, and typically, for most of us, it goes away for a significant amount of time. This is no Bueño. How in the world are you supposed to hang onto motivation when your bed is soooo comfy?
 I will admit I am a total couch potato, and yet I like the idea of having motivation and accomplishing so much with my life. And I’ll guarantee I’m not the only one. Us,  humans, we’re weird.
Well we’re in luck, there are some cheat codes that have worked for me and hopefully will help any of you:
1.  Be Hermonie Granger. Yes, my life will ALWAYS be summed up by the world of Harry Potter. I have many role models that I admire but, Hermonie is the first and foremost. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is: who is your hero? Define what you like about this hero. Why do you like them? How do they motivate you? Why do you look up to them? How can you use their traits that you admire and incorporate them into your lifestyle? Don’t become them, they already exist, the world doesn’t need another of them, the world needs you but how can you use this admiration to help you?
2.  And if you need more motivation; cosplay for a while. I know just thinking of a hero or thinking of abilities you would like to possess are tough to actually put into action. Sometimes stepping outside yourself for an hour or so helps. Again, don’t become your hero/character, but I’ve found cosplaying as some of my favorite characters really does help. It makes it feel like you already possess those abilities, that confidence, that happiness; as long as you pick a good character.
a.    For recommendations: I would suggest Sarah Walker. If you have ever seen the show that use to be on T.V called “Chuck” you know how badass amazing that character is. If you haven’t ever watched the show: for shame. Go on Amazon and buy all the seasons, watch them and be educated. Sarah Walker is a hot, highly skilled CIA operative. If that’s not motivating I really don’t know what else is.
3.  Be organized. This is hard. Almost as hard as finding the motivation to exercise. But it really works! Don’t be overwhelmed. Start small. Plan out your clothes for tomorrow. Do it for a week, maybe two. Then move onto something larger, like what are you going to do tomorrow morning? Or what kind of breakfast are you having tomorrow? Again, don’t get overwhelmed. I see a lot of posts of morning routines about having coffee and/or water, morning yoga, reading a chapter of a book, getting their kids ready, conquering the world etc. and honestly I really love them. I can’t do them, but I love them. One day I would like to get to that level of being bad ass but I need to take it slower. That level of amazing takes time and persistence; which leads me to my next point.

4.  Be stubborn. I have no problem being stubborn with work, or with people, that’s just the Taurus in me. However, I, as well as you, should be stubborn with yourself. Don’t short change yourself because you’re tired today, or you’d rather sit down and just exist. Who you want to be should not take a back seat to life getting in your way. A trick I’ve found when I feel like doing nothing and know I should be doing literally anything is to look in the mirror angrily and say “be stubborn like bull”. It’s silly but it makes me feel happier and more motivated to finish a task.
5.  Don’t wait for motivation, go find it! I try to search every corner of the internet to get myself motivated. Searching LadyBosses, NerdFitness, etc, it’s all out there. Also listening to a handful of Ted Talks (and now I’m addicted) is a great source not only for motivation but also to keep up in what is happening in our lifetime. Life goes fast, and we miss a lot of information and connections in our day-to-day, and personally, I really don’t want to miss it. A lot of those Ted Talks help not only with inspiration but they have a lot of talks about improving your quality of life, and how to try to stave off diseases. It’s amazing how much information and inspiration there is if you look for it.
6.  Set challenges. You can only see how truly amazing you are and the progress you’ve made if you make mini challenges for yourself. My go to source for this is Pinterest. Cleaning challenges, organization challenges, work out challenges, there are so many to try! I like to see if I can get through a whole list or if I need to come back to a list to try again. Another great place to challenge yourself is to check out Blogilates. I love Cassey (founder and host). I found her a few years back on Youtube and I subscribed immediately. She emails out monthly workout challenges which is really nice and organized. I haven’t been able to get through an entire month straight yet but I keep trying every month.  
7.  Last point; don’t be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have lazy days. Sometimes it’s just not enough to get you off the couch. It’s ok, it really is. Staying motivated is like lifting weights; you’re not going to start lifting 200 pound weights day 1. It’s the same with motivation, and if you put that kind of pressure on yourself right from day one you’re not going to even make it through the day. Just like the point above of being organized, start slow. Try to stay motivated for one day, then take a break. Then try to stay motivated two days in a row, then three, then four, then forget how many days you’ve stayed motivated for.  

Striving for motivation is a long long journey. Make yourself a priority in your own life, take breaks, and don’t be so hard on yourself. You got this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A couple of weeks ago I did a handful of presentations for my friends’ S.T.E.M class. If you don’t know what S.T.E.M, that’s ok because I also wasn’t aware that a program like this existed until my friend asked me to present. The program “is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in four specific disciplines — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — in an interdisciplinary and applied approach” ( http://www.livescience.com/43296-what-is-stem-education.html ) It’s a fantastic program, once my friend explained what it was. My audience was multiple classes of female high school students, yikes. I remember being in high school and having guest speakers and just being bored out of my mind. So I decided to make my presentation blunt. I presented on what I currently do for work, what my likes and dislikes were and my daily tasks as a Lead Scientist Quality Control Microbiologist for a Pharmaceutical Company. However, I told them “Most of what I do at work is yel

Why I Will Always Choose Slytherin

                  The world of Harry Potter is amazing. I have loved reading the books ever since I was eleven and picked up “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”. This book series actually helped me learn to read and actually make me want to read which is something I will always be grateful for. And just like I’m sure most of you have, I have done countless Harry Potter sorting hat quizzes both on and off Pottermore. For the majority of the time I get Slytherin as my house, with a couple of Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws mixed in. However, one part of the book always stands out to me: When Harry is getting sorted and asks not to be put into Slytherin. Part of me does get upset at the prejudice the house faces but the main point I try to take away is that, the sorting hat takes Harry’s feelings into account. Just like in life, you can choose who you become. So if I was up at the front of the Great Hall getting sorted (still waiting on that letter McGonagall), instead of asking the

How To Eat Healthy When You Have A Husband That Cooks

I love my husband and his cooking very much. He has taught me to be an adventurous eater and I love, love, love trying his new recipes. However, he does have a problem. He always makes a massive amount of whatever he’s cooking. Which is fantastic when we have friends or family over but…..for the most time it’s just the two of us. And trust me, I would love to eat it all (so tasty) however I would also like to fit into my clothes. So, with my husbands’ help I have been trying to carve out a healthy eating style without sacrificing his cooking talents. Here are some tips that have been working for me:  1) Portion Size. When Sean (my husband) cooks, I could figuratively eat it all. However, even when I try to contain myself I still feel like I ate too much. So what I’ve found that works is to take the portion you want, then cut that in half. When I first tried this out I was really sad putting food back, but now I feel like I’ve eaten enough to make myself content but don’t feel stu